Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm Back!

It was so very nice to get away for a few days! I didn't realize how desperately I needed a break from work! It can get so stressful sometimes, and I think a nice long break is just what I needed.

We do an annual vacation with the in-laws, and this year we went to Gatlinburg. We rented an enormous cabin, and piled in for several days. It was 5 stories, complete with an indoor pool and a theater room. With a cabin like that, there really isn't much of a need to leave. We spent the week playing board games, watching movies and playing water volleyball. Funny story about the volleyball... we had this huge beach ball that we were hitting back and forth in the pool, but there wasn't a net of any sort. My father-in-law found some extra sheets, and tied them together. He brought in two rocking chairs from outside and ties the sheets to the chairs to rig up a net. It was hilarious, but worked perfectly! We played at least 6 or 7 games! My mother-in-law snapped a picture on her phone, and you can see the rocking chair/sheet "net".


We also went zip lining, which I was really not looking forward to. I'm absolutely terrified of heights, and that is not my idea of fun. I'm glad I actually toughed it out, because it wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. There were 6 lines total, and each one the instructor made you do something different. For example, the first one was very basic, and you sat on the ledge and scooted off. The second one, they made you take a running leap off the platform and let go of the rope with both hands. The most challenging for me required you to jump off the platform backwards and flip upside down. It took me forever to jump, and finally the guide was like "jump or I'll push you" and that did it. I was sooooo scared, but I still tried to go upside down. I couldn't let go all the way, so I ended up going partially upside down. They should be happy that they at least got that much participation  ;-)

Here is a phone picture of everyone that went. There were a few too little to go, so it's not our entire group, but it's most of us. Yes, my husband's family is that big.


I look forward to this time away with his family, mostly because it reminds me of the family vacations I had when I was growing up. My parents divorced when I was in high school, but up until that point, we did family vacations every year. I miss those vacations so very much. Although my parents have both been remarried for 8 years now, I still miss our family when it was just us, and quite honestly, I still long for that togetherness. Fortunately, I have SO many great memories of my family vacations growing up! I know that some people don't have special memories like that, so I'm very thankful that we always had opportunities to do fun things together.

I'm also very thankful that I have wonderful in-laws. I honestly don't know too many people that have a great relationship with their spouse's parents, but I adore mine! They totally, and completely rock!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I actually WANT to try zip-lining someday! Not sure I can convince the hubby though.