Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Try It Tuesday - Healthy(er) Cupcakes!

This weekend my mom, her husband, my brother and my nephew came over Sunday afternoon for lunch. I recently discovered that I can roast a chicken marvelously well, so I was anxious to show off my skills! I made a broccoli salad and roasted sweet potatoes to go alongside the chicken. The hold up, however, was what to make for dessert. I didn't want anything heavy; I wanted something that was light and summer-y.

Behold, Orange Pineapple Cupcakes!



Ingredients
1 (18.25 oz) pkg yellow cake mix
4 egg whites
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 (16 oz) can mandarin oranges in juice
1 (3.5) box instant vanilla pudding
1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapples in juice
1 (12 oz) container fat free Cool Whip

Instructions
Mix cake, eggs, applesauce and oranges.
Beat on high about 6 minutes (This is a very important step - it will double your batter)
Fill cupcake liners 90% full
Bake 15(ish) minutes at 325 degrees, or until cake is done.
Let cool.
Mix pudding and pineapple with juice, fold in a large tub of whipped topping.
Top cake with this.
NOTES: Refrigerate.

A couple of things. Normally when making cupcakes, you only fill the liners half full or three fourths of the way full. That's what I did with the first batch, and that's when I learned that these cupcakes barely rise at all. This was what the first batch looked like:



The second batch, I filled the liners to here:



PERFECT!

These cupcakes got great reviews from my family, and Josh and I have been eating on them for a couple of days now! They are absolutely DELISH!

1 comment:

Britney said...

HUNGRY NOW!

They look beautiful, a must try for me.