Thursday, March 24, 2011

Holy Moly!

I'm feeling slightly panicked since receiving notification that my new bedroom furniture has shipped. I have a bedroom full of stuff that needs to be organized and moved out. I am painting before the furniture gets here, which means I have to be completely finished painting this weekend since the furniture will most likely be delivered next week. I have tonight and tomorrow night, then two days to clean out an armoire and find it a home, clean out a very large dresser so it's new owner can come pick it up Saturday morning, clean out a nightstand (the junk drawer...) and move it upstairs, tape, fill holes in the walls, purchase paint and accessories, and paint stripes (because I couldn't make this a quick and easy process...). I'm going to let that process for a moment..... now do you understand?!

 I am thinking it may be time to bribe some friends :-)

Despite wondering how I will finish, I'm really excited about the new stripes I'm painting! I've been dying to use this technique since I saw it on TV years ago. The walls will look like this if all goes well:


The paint color is the same, but it's purchased in a flat and a high gloss. That's what gives the stripe effect, but it's very subtle. The stripes should be fairly easy to do, although it will take a couple of people. They are made using a chalk line, and then taped from there.

I actually haven't decided what color I'm painting yet (I know, right?!) Right now pretty much our entire house is a cappachino color. The previous owners were all about some brown. Needless to say, I'm pretty much over it. I need some color! Our furniture is mahogany, so it will go with almost anything. I'm still looking, but I am thinking it's between yellow and blue. I really want blue, but I'm kindof scared of it to be honest. In the past, I've been a very neutral girl, so although I love blue and it makes me happy, it's definitely out of my comfort zone. Plus, I'll always have to pick out bedding to coordinate with it. And what kindof curtains go with blue?! See, all these concerns and questions. Yellow, on the other hand, is still sortof neutral, but still happy. Then, I could go with a very light, almost beige color, which would allow me to add color via bedding and curtains. I just don't know. I've been scouring the internet for pictures and paint colors, so hopefully I'll find the right inspiration soon!

3 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow, that makes me tired just reading it. Our house soo needs a facelift, but I continue to put it off month after month. I am partial to yellow, as long as it's now "Wow, who turned on the sun?" yellow :) Take some before/after pics. I'm eager to see how well your painting turns out with the stripes!

Hopeandarrow said...

Just found you through Faith's site (she designed my blog too). We are sort of in a similar place in our ttc journey so I though I would follow your story! I completely understand your discretion too. My family and friends follow my blog so I don't blog about infertility. Anyway, if you ever need to vent about this whole process just email me amy_ekis@yahoo.com! :)

Shannon said...

the stripes will be so pretty! I love that look. Can't wait to see!