Saturday, September 1, 2012

NYC - Part One

Guess what ya'll?! This Southern girl just got back from New York City!!! It was sooo much fun!

I found out a couple of months ago that I would be traveling to the Mothership (aka my work headquarters) in Basking Ridge, New Jersey for a summit for work the last week of August. My work girlfriend, Emily, and I decided that since we had a free flight, we'd head to the city for a few days. The summit was Wednesday and Thursday, so we actually flew out early Saturday morning, and didn't head into Jersey until Tuesday afternoon.

We flew into Newark airport, and decided that we'd rather not navigate the train with luggage on a Saturday, so we cabbed into the city. I was completely overwhelmed! I've never been to NYC, but of course I've seen it in movies and pictures. Those don't do it justice though. We stayed in Times Square at The Milford Plaza, which was a fantastic little hotel.



It was relatively inexpensive (comparably speaking) and we knew we really wouldn't need to spend too much time there. Our room was mostly white, with a bright yellow wall. It was very fun. We shared a queen sized bed, because in NYC, you pay more money for an additional bed. Maybe elsewhere, too, but I've never noticed.

We had decided that it would be ideal to see a show Saturday night, but we wanted to hit up the TKTS booth to see if we could score some half priced tickets to a musical. As soon as we dropped our stuff off, we started walking to Times Square. We grabbed lunch at a yummy place called Juniors, and then headed over to get into line. Let me tell you, my first glance at Times Square was lengthy. I spun all the way around very slowly with my mouth hanging open. I tried to get some pictures, but seriously, they don't do it justice. There's so much energy!



We ended up getting half priced tickets to Mary Poppins (which was our first choice) so we headed back to the hotel to doll up. Fortunately Broadway was right around the corner, so we walked that way. We found an Italian place called Trattoria Trecolori for supper. We sat at the bar an ordered a caprese appetizer and an antipasti appetizer with some wine. So delish! We also got a picture with our very funny Italian waiter. Look at that cheesy grin!

 
 

The show was in this amazing old theater, and we had very close seats. The play was absolutely fantastic! Of course, I knew most of the songs, and we sang along almost the entire time, haha.


 

The show didn't start until 8 PM, and it was several hours, so we headed to the hotel after that to get some sleep.

The next day was crammed full of fun stuff, but I'll tell you all about it tomorrow! :-)

Stay tuned!!!

2 comments:

MorgHarpNich.com said...

I'm a southern girl who had just had my first new york visit this summer, too! I grew up south of Atlanta and was always told how mean and rude New Yorkers were. I had the exact opposite experience. Everyone was so nice! I carried on random conversations with locals who were willing to give tips, it was awesome! Best part of Times Square was the 4 story Forever 21. I never wanted to leave. And that's amazing that you got to see Mary Poppins. I saw it once in Atlanta and I nearly cried it was so beautiful. Love your blog!

Jessica said...

Miss you, girl! Glad you have had some fun and relaxing times, though!