Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Bittersweet Work Changes

I don't talk about work that much, but I mentioned it yesterday, and there are some big changes going on at the moment. I work in telecommunications as a Project Consultant. I love my job, but part of what makes it so lovable is the people that I get to work with every single day. Y'all. They are fantastic. The particular channel I'm in is spread all over the US, but there are five of us in the same office and we all sit right next to each other, and have grown very close over the years that we've worked together. There are two girls in particular who, in no exaggeration, have become some of my very best friends - Miranda and Emily. We are absolutely inseparable, and have been for years.

Have you guys ever heard of 212 Degrees? It's a book about going the extra degree, and at a recent work summit, we covered it. Although it was work based, we talked quite a bit about applying it in our personal lives as well, and one of our leaders posed the question "who is your 212 person?" - in other words, who always goes the extra degree. Without hesitation, these two girls popped in my head, and when I was telling them later, I got really emotional, because they mean so very much to me.

I tell them everything - and they've been super close to my baby journey since we met. I remember before Miranda and I were even very close, she found out what a bad appointment I had with my RE, and she walked over and gave me a big bear hug as soon as I got back to the office. One of those little acts of kindness that I've never forgotten - and honestly, one of the things that began to develop our friendship. They know every doctors appointment and they count down with me, they let me whine if I need to and just listen, and they are super supportive of any decision that I make (even if that decision is to take a break). Miranda just had her first baby, and we were together almost every single day of her pregnancy, and all the time during her maternity leave. Our friendship is just... special.

Having said all of that, Emily's "home" is two hours away. It's where her family, and her husband's family lives, and she's always talked about going back. Well she finally made the leap, and she got the first job she interviewed for. So her last day with our company is next Friday, and I.Am.A.Mess. Obviously it was bound to happen at some point. If it wasn't her, it may have been me, or Miranda, but our little group is breaking up, and I'm struggling so much with the change. On the one hand, I couldn't be happier for Em! I remember when I lived a couple of hours from home right after I got married, and I was counting down the days until I got to go back and be near my family. I know how important it is, and I don't blame her one bit for wanting to go back. But on the other hand, we've seen each other every single day for 4(ish) years, and that's a huge change. Can I just say, thank goodness for unlimited texting?! As much as we see each other, we still text all the time, so I can only imagine how much that will increase!

The good news is, that she's just a couple hours away, so it's going to be super easy to drive up on a Saturday morning and spend the day, and I imagine that will happen often. But still, my friend is leaving, and I am sad.


No comments: